RUS / ENG Home
Поиск по сайту
Guestbook Sitemap
Екатерининский дворецЕкатерининский паркАлександровский дворецАлександровский парк

Restoration of Palace Chapel, 14.09.2017

Over 150 years after its last renovation in 1863, the Church of the Resurrection at the Catherine Palace is finally in restoration that is scheduled to be completed in December 2018.

Click pictures to enlarge them

Adjoining the palace’s main building and Church Wing, the Palace Chapel (or “palace church” in Russian) with its gilded domes has become a symbol and landmark view of Tsarskoe Selo. Looted and partially destroyed during the Second World War (almost all of the icons and the main room’s plafond were lost) and conserved in the 1950s, the interior was still nearly sixty percent intact and even open for visiting for some time.

With around one-billion-rouble help from Gazprom, work began in 2015. Followiung the Venice Charter for the Conservation and Restoration of Monuments and Sites, like earlier with the Agate Rooms, this restoration is primarily conservation of the authentic remains, with only some missing fragments of the finishing, carving and painting and some icons to be re-created. The surviving painted ceiling canvas in the altar part, Mina Kolokolnikov’s Archangel Gabriel and Archangel Michael icons on Deacon’s Doors of the iconostasis, as well as the rim of the main room’s ceiling canvas, are being restored by the Amber Workshop of Tsarskoe Selo, whose specialists brought back to life the Agate Rooms and the legendary Amber Room.

        

← back

News Archive
© The Tsarskoye Selo State Museum-Preserve. Terms of Use of Website Materials