The Master of Moscow exhibition, taking place at the State Historical Museum during September 1 to November 1, 2010 is devoted to the 200th birth anniversary of Prince Vladimir A. Dolgorukov, Governor General of Moscow in 1865-91. His being at the helm of Moscow for over 25 years explains the exceptional role he played in the life of the “first capital city” of Russia, turning it from patriarchal to the largest trade and industrial center of the Empire with the population of over a million. Among his greatest achievements were the finishing of the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour and the opening of the Historical Museum of Russia. The display will cover Dolgorukov’s social and cultural merits, which gained him the love and respect of his contemporary Muscovites. Visitors will see the re-created “Dolgorukov Hall” from the Rumiantsev Museum, together with the articles presented to the Prince while in office: icons (including hinged ones), photo and picture albums, richly ornamented memorial addresses, sculptures, presentation plates, etc.
The Portrait of Prince Vladimir Dolgorukov in the Life-Guards Horse Regiment Uniform by Vladimir Sherwood (1832–97) is the only item from the collections of Tsarskoye Selo to grace the Moscow exhibition. A prominent Russian architect, sculptor and artist, Sherwood received the title of Portrait Academician in 1872, while he also painted numerous landscapes. The portrait will occupy a special place at the exhibition, which is both aesthetical and meaningful because the building of the State Historical Museum was created to Sherwood’s design.