3 December 2016 to 17 April 2017, the Catherine Palace hosts a stunning exhibition showcasing about seventy clothing items specially made for Mathilde, a historical blockbuster about the Russian imperial court and the ballerina Mathilde Kschessinska. Shot at Tsarskoye Selo and other palaces and estates of St Petersburg, the movie is directed by Aleksey Uchitel and will be released in March 2017.
The highlights of our exhibition Mathilde: The Movie Costumes are the magnificent items made for the coronation scene of Nicholas II and Alexandra Feodorovna, which has never been filmed before (see photo above left, click to enlarge).
The famous staterooms of the palace demonstrate the following costumes from the movie:
- coronation attire of the emperor and coronation dresses of the empresses
- vestments of orthodox higher clergy
- ceremonial uniforms of chamberlains and chief chamberlains, equerries and jägermeisters
- coronation court clothes
- maid-of-honour dresses
- ball and visiting dresses
- military uniforms
- clothes of imperial court clerks and waiters
- women’s clothing accessories
Photos of film scenes below (click to enlarge) are courtesy of TPO Rok (photographer: V. Sevastianov)